Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Major Major Change

After nearly two weeks of prayer, talking with godly friends, and consulting my amazing parents, I have decided to change majors. Currently, I am a business management major and I have nothing against business as a whole, or the professors, or the department. However, I am under conviction that God would have me develop the particular gifts he has given me in the areas of Communication Studies and English.

Its totally crazy, in a sense, that I am switching (as a finishing sophomore) to a double major in two subjects that I am currently not in. But I am really excited about it. Ever since I came to college, I have been longing to develop my reading, writing, and communication skills. I started out in Engineering. I pretty much couldn't get any of these skills in that department (no offense to anyone). Then I switched to business and communication studies minor. This was good for a while. The communication classes became my favorites and I even got some communication skills from my business classes. However, it became clear this semester that I am never really going to be able to write in business classes.

So that brought me to this point. I will probably switch majors tomorrow. I am nervous and excited and happy. I must give a hats off to my parents here. I was able to talk with mom and dad this weekend and they were the most supportive and caring people that I could ever want as parents. They are godly and perfect models of depending on God's sovereingty.

Now all I have to worry about is finishing my business classes this semester...ugghh.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

As a graduated English major, I am very pleased to hear you make this switch. Not that any other area of study is bad, but you've just hit my personal tastes. If you need any help in knowing which professors to take, etc..., I would be more than willing to give you my opinions. For starters, make sure that you take as many classes as you can with Dr. Laura White, especially if you can get a British novel class with her. She's great.

Out of curiosity, what do you eventually want to end up doing?

Gray said...

I want to be a pastor. If not, then I will probably want to go to grad school in either English or Comm. and teach. But only God knows.