Thursday, March 22, 2007

Another look at CCM

I, like many of the people in my circles, have gagged on the sweet, money making sounds of contemporary Christian music. I get frustrated when I listen to a Christian station. I hear songs that are basically "I" centered and have little or no theological or otherwise Biblical content.

However, I have recently been drawn to what I consider to be a subgroup within CCM. I have a close friend who also serves the Church by leading worship and he recently showed me some incredible music written by popular worship leaders. There are, of course, bands that travel around and basically use our sub-Christian culture to generate profit. But there are also worship leaders that serve at local churches that produce good music. Some examples: David Crowder, Matt Redman, Travis Cottrell.

These guys are solid. I might not like everything that they produce and, stylistically, I might not always approve, but I can't really say that I always approve of Indelible Grace's style either. The main point is that these guys drive me to worship. They make me want to put my heart into leading people in worship. They show me that God is glorified when we work hard to make new arrangements and make our music sound excellent with skillful playing and good production. I'm not ready to say that I like CCM...but I do like worship leaders who are proactive and intentional about worship.

No comments: