Saturday, March 24, 2007

I'm Changing...but reluctatantly

Right now, I am beginning to import my entire cd collection into itunes. It will be a long, boring process. For ten years or so I have been collecting music on cds. I estimate that I have nearly 200 full length (and store bought not burned) CDs in my collection. I am frustrated by the digital music movement that will soon make compact discs obsolete. There are two main reasons why I don't like digital music:

Reason 1: It causes the artists to make less money for their work. This is primarily because it is so much easier to burn and share music. Because it is so much easier to share, they have had to lower the price of songs so that people will be more likely to buy the music. It is frustrating to hear people's excuses for sharing/burning (especially Christians). People... pirating music is nothing less than STEALING. My favorite excuse is what I like to call the Robin Hood Excuse. This is when people say that they only burn music from artists who are really successful and who "don't need the money." This is no more appropriate than saying that it is OK to steal money from Bill Gates because he is successful at making it. Stealing is Stealing and there is no way around it.

Reason 2: I'm sad that I will soon not be able to buy cds for the mere pleasure of it. One of my favorite things to do is to drive to a store to buy a cd. I love to open up a cd (yes even with the frustrating plastic sticky stuff), look at the artwork inside, read the lyrics and place it into my cd player to listen to on the way home. Its a great experience. I also love that I have an entire album of a band's work. Its cool to see all of the songs that they include on an album and in what order they placed them.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with digital music in general. I will submit myself to the power of technology and start downloading (legally). Its just that I fell in love with music by means of the compact disk and I am sad to see it go.

No comments: