Sunday, November 11, 2007

Publicly Joining Zion

I officially joined Zion Church PCA today. I am now a functioning, publicly recognized church member in Lincoln, Nebraska. Its a good feeling. As long as I am in Lincoln, I have a duty to serve this church to the best of my ability. It is a covenant I am making regardless of how much the church serves me. Even though serving this church (or any) will be difficult in some ways, I am rather pleased to be a part of Zion. There are several aspects of Zion church that I find particularly helpful:

1. Liturgy- Good ole' fashioned "lets confess together" liturgy. It is worshipful to the Father for us to confess what we know to be true about Him and about ourselves, and it is encouraging and nourishing for the body to speak truth.

2. Order of Worship- Zion has a unique order of worship that I find very helpful. There is a good mixture of hymns and spiritual songs with both contemporary and older instrumentation and melody. We prepare to confess our sins together, then kneel and confess our personal sins to God, then hear the assurance of pardon from the atoning work of Christ. We are instructed by the word. We celebrate communion together and are free to enjoy singing or listening to music while waiting for everyone to receive the bread and cup. Since we have already confessed our sins, we are free to joyfully take part in the sacrament with the community of the redeemed.

3. Weekly communion- Not a scriptural command, but it has been helpful to me and I think it is a good practice for any church.

4. Approachable leadership- It has been an honor to get to know some of the elders and pastors and Zion. They seem to be interested in getting to know me. This is a huge encouragement for someone who is thinking seriously about ministry work. I love to have relationships with people who can give godly, pastoral advice to an inexperienced youth such as myself.

5. Families- There are kids running everywhere. There are parents holding their children. It is a beautiful picture of the way that God has chosen to work in our community. People are fulfilling the cultural mandate.

And I am a part of that. I pledged to be. These are the the vows that I took:
  1. Do you acknowledge yourself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving his displeasure, and without hope, except through his sovereign mercy?
  2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and savior of sinners, and do you receive and trust him alone for salvation as he is offered in the gospel?
  3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes a follower of Christ?
  4. Do you promise to support the church in it's worship and work to the best of your ability?
  5. Do you submit yourself to the government and discipline of the church, and promise to strive for its purity and peace?
I answered these in the affirmative. If you are not currently a member of a church, I challenge you to think seriously about it. It is a way for you to express your commitment to the growing Kingdom of Jesus. We are all called to serve.

No comments: