Wednesday, May 23, 2007

These guys are good



I can't stand Lifeway Christian Store. It is one of the most commercially driven, useless stores in the U.S. But I had a gift card to Lifeway worth $18 and I knew it would be a waste to throw it away. So I went to there (I had to go twice because I couldn't find anything there that I wanted the first time...I mean nothing). The second time I went I decided I should just purchase some music. I bought David Crowder's new b-sides album, a mini-album-follow-up to his last release "A Collision." I also purchased "Redemption Songs" by Jars of Clay.

Redemtion Songs is a great album. It is a collection of old hymns sung to modern tunes, many of which are Indelible Grace (RUF). I have know about this cd for a while and I know that many of my friends own it. But I was listening to it for the first time the other day and I was struck by how good the music really was. I mean, Jars of Clay is a really good band. They do a great job with keeping the tunes of the hymns, while giving them elaborate intros and fresh rhythm structures.

I've always liked Jars. I saw them live when I was in high school and I remember being impressed. I loved them even more when I found out they were reformed and Presbyterian (PCA). I respect them spiritually and musically. I guess I just had forgotten their talent. Its a shame that a lot of people stopped listening to them after their "glory days" of Christian pop music in the late nineties.

No comments: