Sunday, January 27, 2008

I will not gaze at glory?

I have been thinking about the words to one of my favorite RUF songs The Sands of Time are Sinking.  I love this song.  It has good words and a catchy folk/bluegrass ballad feel.  But the words of the next to last stanza always have struck me as funny.

The bride eyes not her garments
But her dear Bridegroom's face
I will not gaze at glory, but on my King of grace
Not at the crown he giveth, but on his pierced hand
The Lamb is all the glory of Emmanuel's land

The analogy of the stanza is clear.  In the same way that a bride's garments are secondary to her ability to actually look into the face of her loving husband on her wedding day, so we, when we are in heaven, will have eyes only for our Savior and not for any of the trappings.  I understand the sentiment, but I think that the use of "glory" should be questioned.   Is the glory of God meant as a bit of flare that has the potential to distract us from our "King of Grace."

Perhaps this phrase arose from using "glory" in the sense of the physical paradise of heaven, such as in the phrase "I am heading for glory" (most likely said with a southern accent!) This brings up images of golden streets and jewels and a mighty, unconquerable city.  These images are likely poetic.  But aside from that, the city of heaven is glorious not because of the city itself, but because God's glory shines through it.  Therefore, "glory" is a term that refers to God's presence in heaven, not the actual place. 

I would argue that the glory of God is a distinct and necessary part of God's character.  To look at God's glory is to look at who he is, not merely some extra pizzaz that seems to follow him around wherever he appears.  Moses asks God to "show me Your glory."  God didn't say back to him "don't look at my glory, look at my face!!!"  To look at God's glory is to look at him.

I guess I just don't understand the use of the phrase "I will not gaze at glory".  After all, the song also states "The lamb is all the glory of Emmanuel's Land." 




1 comment:

daisyinnovember said...

I think "glory" can be reasonably connected with the following "crown he giveth." Thus, a glory one can garner for one's self, rather than that belonging to God. How it strikes me, anyway.

--Renae